Friday, March 16, 2012

Visiting Lindsay in Houston!

I  was able to go see my cousin/sister/bff Lindsay in Houston a few weekends back. I loved every second of the trip. You know those people in your life that just get you? Even if they don't agree or think that something is weird, they get it? She gets me.

We laughed the whole weekend. Not exaggerating. We would lay in bed at night and laugh until we cried (luckily it was just until we cried, not until someone passed out. I'm still too traumatized for that to happen again).

My trip started in the SLC airport. I was flying standby. Got to the airport at 4:45am. I made a friend while I was there, she's lovely and possibly the most well behaved baby I have ever met. 

The security line was ridiculous, I have never waited that long in SLC before. I watched the sunrise from my gate and the planes taking off were gorgeous against the sunrise.

I missed the first flight that left at 6:45 by TWO seats. Then, I missed the next flight by three seats. Then, I wasn't eligible to be on the next flight because of the merger process. The last flight came around, I had been in the airport for 12 hours at this point and had already talked to Lindsay about what we would do if I didn't make the flight.

Then, the angel of a Continental Airlines lady called my name. When she gave me my boarding pass I almost started crying (weird, I never cry!?) and I told her I could just kiss her. "Please don't ma'am". ....Awkward.

I had been sitting in the airport for 12 hours, made some great friends but didn't have an ounce of makeup left on my face and I'm sure I was smelly. Oh yeah, and I was starving and exhausted. Deadly combo.


I got on the flight and there was an elderly gentleman with his headphones on and singing at the top of his lungs. He was adorable. I sat down next to Rob (my new Houston friend) and fell asleep immediately. I slept for 3/4 of the flight and then Rob and I chatted about his job, his family and what I needed to do in Houston while I was there. He lives in Houston and had no problem letting me know what a great place it was.

Rob was the nicest man. He waited for me to get my carry-on and then walked me to the baggage claim, to make sure I didn't get lost. Then he showed me where to wait for Lindsay and headed home. I already loved Texas/Texans!

Then I saw a white Jetta (what Lindsay used to drive) and ran (in heels, two suitcases rolling behind me and looking suppppper cute) to the car. I started yelling and was so confused when a Hispanic man looked at me and then rolled up his window. Oh yeah...Lindsay got a new car. :)

Then I saw Lindsay! It was a glorious reunion. I told her I needed to eat, immediately. I hadn't eaten all day and was starting to get that nauseating feeling that comes without food.

We headed to Papa's to get some Texas BBQ and the biggest Diet Coke I have ever seen in a restaurant!  As we took pictures in the restaurant everyone that was eating had no problem staring and (I'm sure) wondering why were so animated and loud, even the lady with curlers in her hair took a little gander.


When we were being rung up, the employee asked if we would like a side of bread. Of course! He handed us two slices of Wonderbread in a sandwich bag. I found it hilarious. He didn't think it was so funny.

In addition to laughing all weekend, we ate all weekend. This is no exaggeration. Lindsay showed me how to find the secret word to get a free sprinkles cupcake! One night we got our free cupcakes, our Diet Coke and Coke in old glass bottles and headed out to see "The Artist". If you haven't seen it, go. Now. It is so good. And it was so fun being in an old theatre with our glass bottles and fancy cupcakes. Don't worry, I got some popcorn too.



Throughout the time I wast there we ate at the 59 Diner, The Hobit Cafe, Sprinkles (x7), The Breakfast Klub and more. I just can't remember their names.

We also visited the Guild Shop, where I found this little vase that I love. 


Oh, don't worry. Those are horses in a grocery store parking lot. I wanted to take one and check it on the plane. BEST SOUVENIR EVER.

Lindsay had an Oscar's Party, 5TH ANNUAL!!!! We had a little cable crisis Saturday night. No cable meant no party, and we were not just about going to let that happen.  After a few hours of untangling cords, reading manuals, plugging and unplugging, waiting on hold with Comcast, waiting for a box to magically turn on (thank you Comcast lady) and threatening the cable box, we gave up and went to bed.

My brain just needed some time to think about everything. When I woke up, I put the cable into the cable out on the wall and we were done. Thank you ABC for being a basic cable station.

While I was in Texas I got to spend time with my cousins Matt and KayLa. It was my first time meeting KayLa since her and Matt got married. It was so fun getting to know them better and spending time with them. They took me to lunch at an incredible Greek restaurant. Our waitress had a European accent, but we couldn't figure out where she was from. We asked her and she said we had to figure it out on our own. After guessing extensively, she gave us a hint. "Why did you come here?". We still couldn't get it.  Finally, I pulled out my phone and cheated. Hungary. DUH!

Oh, if I look particularly fat in the picture with my cousins, it is because I am. I wish I could say I got a really big bee sting, or was having some crazy allergic reaction to something. Nope, just fat.

Linds and I also went to the dog shelter. :) I was in heaven. As I was talking to one of the dogs (thinking no one else was in the room) a man turned around the corner and said "Wow, you really love dogs, don't you?"....so embarrassing.

The last night that I was there we headed into Korea town. There were no signs in English. When we pulled up to A+ Foot Massage I'm pretty sure the restaurant next door had a cat roasting on their spit. We were very hesitant. Then, we went inside. Perfectly clean with courteous staff. We were taken into a back room where we could get our massage together (aw presh) and it was INCREDIBLE!

$20 for the best hour long massage of your life. If you're in Houston, look them up. A+ Foot Massage, just don't mind the roasting cat meat next door.

I had so much fun in Houston. I loved the city, but I love Linds the most. No matter where we end up, we will always be able to visit each other and have the best times.

Meow.




RE

No comments:

Post a Comment